Countering the Effects of Long-Term Stress
Managing the Long-Term Stress Response with the Three Ds of Self-Care
During periods of prolonged stress, understanding how to take care of ourselves is critical for thriving in challenging times. This session provides a deeper understanding of what happens when we’re chronically under stress. It provides the framework for an individualized approach to self-care that will allow professionals to remain consistent, healthy and thrive in turbulent times.
- Defining the three phases of the long-term stress response: Alarm, Resistance, and Exhaustion.
- Understanding the role of the sympathetic nervous system in the long-term stress response.
- The Three D’s of self-care: Discipline, Distraction, and Disruption.
Participants will walk away with strategies to:
- Implement the foundations of self-care (exercise, diet, sleep, and social activity.)
- Support physical and mental health during times of significant stress.
- Operate at a high level while navigating difficult and uncertain times.